Out of Towners
Chicago is a pretty great town. Something awesome is happening every night of the week. Depending on how long you’re able to stay during your trip to Chicago, hopefully you will get a chance to experience some of the fun our city has to offer. Here is a collection of links and locations we thought you might like. If you’re looking for something specific, please let us know!
Art and Culture
- Museum of Contemporary Art - Love this modern art museum located near Michigan Avenue. Some really cool stuff here.
- Shedd Aquarium - Crowded but cool aquarium. You can purchase all inclusive tickets online.
- Museum of Science and Industry - Might be one of the coolest museums you’ll ever go to. The exhibits change frequently.
- The Art Institute - They have a lot of amazing paintings done by some famous guys like Van Gogh and Picasso. Ferris Bueller loved it here.
- Adler Planetarium - They have a bunch of shows and exhibits on astronomy. Check out the Night Sky show, supposed to be good.
- The Field Museum - Its huge! You can see everything from a big T-Rex skeleton named Sue to a bunch of mummies.
- Steppenwolf Theatre Company - Great Chicago plays get produced here. Brad and Maeve went to see an all male play where the actors got naked. Maeve inappropriately giggled the entire time.
- Second city -They have comedy shows and Improv shows on a couple different stages.
- Schubas - Maeve and Brad have seen some great music performed at this smallish venue. Maybe a band is playing that you like.
- The Metro - Lots of bands play here. Big or indy. Maeve and Brad have seen some greats here.
- Neo Futurists- See the show Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind where they perform 30 plays in 60 minutes. Such a fun show.
- Willis Tower - (It will forever be the Sears Tower to us). Check out a great view of the city from the tallest building in the western hemisphere.
- John Hancock Observatory - The 360 degree view of Chicago stretches across 4 states. And you can have dinner on the 95th floor at the Signature Room.
- Navy Pier - is Chicago’s number one tourist attraction. And the Children’s Museum is located inside.
- Lincoln Park Zoo - A zoo located near Lake Michigan in the Lincoln Park neighborhood. And its free!
- Boat Tour - There are many different kinds of boat tours you can choose from on Lake Michigan or the Chicago River.
- Millenium park - Check out the bean, or maybe a concert at the Pritzker Pavilion. Lots to see and do here. Or see the site of Maeve and Brad’s first kiss (In between the two big faces fountain).
- Haunted Chicago - Find out about Chicago’s mobsters or its haunted past.
- The Publican - One of Brad and Maeve’s favorite places to drink and eat.
- Publican Quality Meats – Amazing Butcher/sandwich shop located across from the Publican.
- Piece Pizza - Delicious New Haven style Pizza with some great Beer too.
- Pequods - Come to Chicago, you gotta try Chicago style Pizza. They do a good job with it here.
- Great Lake Pizza - We like pizza and this small place is on many lists of the best pizza in the country.
- Longman And Eagle - A little out of the way but you get some tasty eats and drinks here.
- Big Star - Need a taco, go here!
- Sea Dog - One of our favorite sushi spots in the city.
- Takashi – Great Japanese from an amazing chef. Get the Noodles on Sunday!
- Cumin – Dare you to just walk by this restaurant and not go in after smelling the food. Delicious Indian/napalese restaurant.
- State and Lake - If you’re downtown and need some craft beer, this is a good spot.
- Downtown Dogs - Get your Chicago style Hot Dogs here! They do a solid Chicago style dog.
- Hot Dougs - There’s usually a line but its worth trying Dougs encased meats.
- Kuma’s Corner - Known to have one of the best burgers in Chicago. Great place if you like metal music too!
- Xoco - If you don’t get a reservation for one of Chef Rick Bayless’s other excellent Mexican restaurants then you should definitely stop in here for some tasty Mexican street food. Get a Sandwich or soup and a churro for dessert.
- Milk & Honey - Great Brunch spot in Wicker Park. Can have lines on the weekend.
- Bagel on Damen - Bagel sandwiches are pretty tasty.
- Doughnut Vault - Get in line early with the rest of Chicago to get an awesome doughnut.
- Do-Rite Donuts – Tasty and excellent Chicago donut shop in the loop. Go get one!
- Black Dog Gelato – Gourmet Gelato with some crazy flavors. Go in and taste some.
- Falafel and Grill - Are you hungry for a gyro, shawarma or kabob and don’t want to pay much. Grab some tasty eats at this casual spot.
- Wow Bao - A chain restaurant but if you’re in the loop and need a quick bite, their steam buns hit the spot.
- Sun Wah BBQ - Busy Chinese Restaurant in Uptown, just off Argyle Street. Get the Peking Duck.
- Siagon Sisters - Need a bahn mi but don’t have time to go up to Argyle, this is a great option.
- Lao Sze Chuan - Great Chinese in Chinatown. Try Tony’s Three-Chili Chicken. The best.
- Arami - Really tasty Japanese food. Get the kimchi ramen, delicious!
- Girl and the Goat - Go here, thank us later! You’ll need a reservation but if you stop in a lot of the menu is available at the bar.
- 90 Miles Cuban Cafe - Excellent Cuban. The croqueta and cubano sandwiches are our favorites!
Off the Beaten Path: Nightwood - New american style restaurant in Pilsen. Awesome brunch!
Coffee Shops or Roasters
- Star Lounge - Maybe our favorite coffee place in Chicago. They roast their own Dark Matter coffee.
- Metropolis - Great Chicago roaster. Their cafe is pretty far on the north side but luckily a lot of places in Chicago carry this coffee.
- Intelligencia - Most famous Chicago coffee company. Makes a good cup a joe. Several locations in Chicago and now LA.
- Wormhole - We love this neighborhood coffee joint. 80s themed, carry’s many great coffee roasters from around the country.
Off the Beaten Path: BridgePort Coffee Company - Another good Chicago roaster. This one is located on the south side in the Bridgeport neighborhood.
Bars or BrewPubs
- Haymarket Pub and Brewery - We are big fans of the beer here. Also the location of the post wedding After Party!
- Revolution BrewPub - Awesome food and beer. Brad and Maeve love it here. Great brunch too! And good vegan options.
- Bangers and Lace - On the same street as Brad and Maeve’s place. Technically their corner bar. Great food and killer beer list.
- Violet Hour - We love the cocktails here. We get gin smashes quite often. (There is no sign, directly across from Big Star)
- Hop Leaf - In the Andersonville neighborhood, awesome beers and food. Expect a wait to be seated but its worth it!
- The Whistler - They make some mighty fine drinks at this small Logan Square lounge.
- Goose Island Clybourn - Tasty food and beer. What more could you ask for.
- Small Bar – We spend many nights and days at this fine beer bar.
- Map Room – One of the OG craft beer bars in the city. Small and full of charm.
- Bottom Lounge - You can see some fun bands here but we mostly come for the craft beer and the nice upstairs patio.
Off the Beaten Path: Weegee’s Lounge - Located in Logan Square, they serve some nice cocktails with free shuffleboard!
- Revolution Brewing - They have a brewery and a brewpub. Their beer is awesome. Check them out!
- Half Acre - Great Chicago brewery with a small tap room and store. Pick up some of their cans and bring them to a byob restaurant!
- Metropolitan Brewing - An all lager brewery run by a lovely couple. Located in Andersonville, they do tours.
- Goose Island brewing - Check these guys out at their brew pub or possibly do a tour of the brewery.
- Finch’s Beer Company - Their Brewery location is a bit out of the way but you can find their cans at beer stores.
- Pipeworks Brewing - A nano brewery selling some tasty beers.
Off the Beaten Path: Three Floyds - Terrific Brewery located in Indiana, just a 30 minute drive from Chicago.
Useful Links for Chicago fun